Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Day 72: Jealousy

I have a friend, Amanda Deibert Staggs, who is pretty darn awesome. She writes for this fun show on Hulu called "The Morning After," in which they recap the previous night in television in about five minutes. Amanda was in the first play I ever directed and I've always been a fan of her as she is a fantastic actor and really cool person. I find it incredibly amusing that I've been a teensy bit jealous of the successes she's had, after she came out with this amazing comic, which is wonderfully illustrated by her wife, Cat:
http://www.comediva.com/hot-mess-the-joys-of-social-networking

Jealousy is a huge part of Facebook stalking. We go around looking at how well people have done for themselves and we see families and achievements. We see people we used to date getting married and being in love. We see people in our own field exceeding where we are and we get super jealous.

For the most part, I've been happy about how well Amanda has done for herself and for my other friends who are kicking butt in the world. But every so often, I'm jealous and I wish I could achieve those same levels of success. The comic goes to show, that more often than not, the people you are jealous of are actually jealous of other people too. The best way to break this vicious cycle is to try your best to be happy for what these people have achieved and to be proud of your own achievements as well.

I've done some awesome stuff and even though I'm not always living up to my expectations, there is probably someone out there that is looking at me with jealousy. It's time to just be grateful for what I have and move on with my life! Besides, getting all mopey looking at Facebook wastes time that I should be using for my writing.

Today in the world of my 365 day writing challenge, I wrote some really funny scenes in Ted Saves the World. Here's a quote from one of them:
"Erica internally lamented how easy it was to play the part of the punch drunk, lovelorn teenager. All she had to do was pretend to make frequent awful decisions that were guided solely by emotions."

I also wrote a Christmas-themed blog post about Christmas creative writing ideas. Without doubt, I am the most prolific Jew on the Web when it comes to writing about Christmas ;).

No comments:

Post a Comment