Sunday, December 11, 2011

Day 98: Creating Something Amazing

I've very happy to have been a part of so many interesting and exciting artistic projects. I've created two Crash the Super Bowl videos and they were both great learning experiences that made me a stronger director. I've produced multiple plays, several of which recruiting hundreds of people to see them in all their glory. The ones that I had contributed to the writing of, made me feel even more pride, when people laughed at jokes I had come up with or made emotional connections to characters I had made up. I was even so lucky as to be a part of one show that grew like wildfire in the early Facebook era and I had the joy of putting over one hundred people into a room meant for 40.

But all that being said, I've never been a part of a worldwide phenomenon. I know what you're saying, "Very few people have, Bryan. If more people had been, it probably wouldn't be that big a deal." I know, you're right. But still, it would be so cool to be a part of one of these successful Kickstarter deals that raise over $100,000 and are able to use that money to realize their creative power. It'd be wild and fulfilling to win some kind of film contest and to see your work up on the big screen and for it to spread around the country in a cult or mainstream way. I'm not necessarily doing what I need to do to get something like that to happen to me. I haven't put up a Kickstarter in a while and I haven't entered any contests like that in years.

If I am going to dream big, I have to take steps to meet that dream halfway. I can't win any contests I don't enter. I can't create any artistic collaborative experiences if I don't collaborate more with other artists. The first and most important step is to dream the dreams. The second most important step is to move toward the goals as much as you can on your own.

In keeping with this theme, I wrote a blog post today about personal goal setting. I like the post, because it made me think about some of the obstacles (most of them self-imposed) that I have to overcome to make my dreams a reality. I also worked on some character writing prompts about activists today. Have a great rest of your Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment