Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Day 135: Self-Publishing Workshop

Today I just learned that I'll be teaching another self-publishing workout at iO (formerly Improv Olympic) coming up in February. I was pretty pleased with what I came up with in the first workshop, but it also taught me a lot about what I should do differently. Here are a few initial thoughts I have before I come up with the new description of the class.

1. More Practical, Less Theoretical

I talked a lot about the idea of self-publishing and why it was important during the last workshop. I think that I should still touch on this idea for the self-publishing newbies, but I need to get more into what works and how people can apply it directly. I think that comedians and other artists should be using their talents to create and that they should be making money from it instead of just spending money. I want the workshop to be worth its weight in gold.

2. Visual Aids

I think I'd like to bring something visual into the workshop. People were very impressed by the paper copies of my books the last time and I'd like to give the students something to keep. Perhaps I'll make a little workbook up for the class itself and get it printed just for the heck of it. Might be kind of fun, though it wouldn't be very cost effective. At the least, I should get a poster board or something. Maybe a model holding up a poster board. Hmm. :)

3. How to Deal with the Technical

The technical aspects of publishing are the most boring and the most important. I need to figure out the best way to convey the information without boring everyone half to death. I don't know how many people actually used the information I gave out at the last class, but I'd like to give clearer info with pictures that the students might be able to apply more effectively.

I'm giving myself a day to sleep on the description and hopefully I'll have it more or less figured out by then. Today in the writing world, I continued to work on Sheepish and I wrote a blog post about career and relationship success. Happy Tuesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment